- Updated computerized model of their entire facility power system
- ETAP model accurately represents the current field situation
- Insured compliance with NFPA 70E
- Recommended mitigation techniques to reduce Arc Flash hazards
EEC (Eta Engineering Consultants) was contracted by a major manufacture of chemical specialty and performance products to update their existing ETAP model and review Arc Flash incident energies as required by NEC NFPA 70E 130.3. EEC reviewed the model against the current field conditions to ensure the model accurately represented the field. EEC also provided new Arc Flash labels based on the new incident energy calculations.
EEC successfully compared the existing ETAP model against the updated one-line diagrams, field verifications and current relay setting files. The ETAP model was updated as necessary. After generating a summary report of the findings from the Arc Flash analysis (study), Eta Engineering Consultants provided the client with the following:
- Updated ETAP model in its native format
- Mitigation recommendations to reduce Arc Flash hazards
- Written switching procedures to safely operate devices
- Arc Flash labels
- Arc Flash label installation key
In the Arc Flash analysis summary report, EEC provides arc flash mitigation recommendations to the client for consideration. EEC recommended changing magnetic trip settings on several molded case circuit breakers and retrofitting the trip units for the client’s 480 volt switchgear breakers. EEC worked with the electrical services contractor in specifying the retrofit trip unit and determined the new relay settings to mitigate the hazards. Another important item, but often overlooked in mitigation, is EEC wrote switching procedures to safely operate devices. In summary, EEC mitigated our client’s hazards with a combination of breaker setting changes, power circuit breaker retrofits and switching procedures. The Arc Flash labels were generated by EEC and provided to the client for installation. The Arc Flash label installation key allowed the client to cost effectively and easily install the Arc Flash labels.
- Updated model using ETAP
- Verification of relay settings with model parameters
- Arc Flash labels with installation key
- Mitigation of Arc Flash Hazards